Anyone who can recognize major and minor, i.e. what key a piece of music or a song has, has a valuable musical ability. Because often the question arises, how the key recognizes that the respective piece is well. Is it in a major key or in minor? From simply reading and looking at the piece, it is often not possible to say exactly whether the song is written in major or minor. The easiest way is to look at the last note of a piece, because this is usually also the basic tone. The basic tone, together with the signs, forms the key. A cross and a G as the last note means G major. A cross and an E is then in E minor. If a piece ends on a different tone, not the basic tone, one would have to listen to the piece and then decide from the hearing whether it is minor or major. If you know this, you can easily determine the key of a song, with the help of the signs.
Reading and understanding the music to determine the key
- Understand the musical half steps and steps. They are both intervals or distances between the notes and thus the basic building blocks of the scales. A scale is a series of notes arranged in ascending sequence.
- Understand the Durtonconductor, which always hasthe same pattern, whole steps (1) and half steps (1/2): 1 – 1 – 1/2 – 1 – 1 – 1 – 1/2.
- Understanding the mollton conductors, the mollton conductors are more complicated than the Durton conductors and can have different schemes. The natural mollton conductor has the following sequence of steps and half steps: 1 – 1/2 – 1 – 1 – 1 / 1 – 1 – 1 – 1 .
- Understanding the terms third and fifth.Terz and fifth are different types of intervals that can be very useful in finding out the key of a music. Minor intervals have a half step less than the major intervals, which changes their tone. A third is formed from the first note of the key and the third note of the key. A fifth is formed by the first note and the fifth note of the key.
- A few of the most common scales in the type of music that likes to be played should be known to find out in which key the song is. The notes in your chord will all be on this scale.
- Often, some common keys are used in music, as they are easiest to play on the guitar or piano. C is by far the most common key for pop songs.
Finding out the key by listening:
- Finding the basic tone, because the basic tone in the scale sounds right everywhere in the song.
- Testing the basic tone by playing other notes of the triad, you can hear if the chord “feels” as if it fits the song.
- Major and minor, by playing a large third over the fundamental tone. If this note generally fits into the song, it is likely that it is in major. If not, a small terz should be played to hear if it fits better. The mood of a song also shows whether it is in major or minor. Songs in minor are rather sad or thoughtful.
- By trying out a few chords, you can also hear the key of the piece out.
- Singing songs that are easy to sing along to and listen attentively.
- Then compare the key with more difficult songs. Over time, you develop a good sense of the keys. Some can be heard faster and easier than others.
- Exercises for hearing are very important in order to train the hearing on keys. Here, creating a list of songs you’ve studied can be very helpful. Over time, you will notice certain patterns in the songs that always have the same key.
Checking the results to see if the key is correct can be done through numerous apps and websites. The search for the name of the song and the key can give a quick answer.
More on Klavierexperte.net
Would you like to get to know more tricks and tips about the subject of claslics? Then visit the page Klavierexperte.net and let yourself be led into the world of this wonderful musical instrument. Click here to go to the homepage.